Capt. Cook Museum


This handsome 17th century harbourside house is where the great explorer, James Cook, came to serve his apprenticeship in Whitby in the year 1746. It belonged to Cook's master, the Quaker ship owner, Captain John Walker. When the young Cook was not at sea, he lodged here in the attic with Walker's 'other family' of apprentices. The house is now a museum and holds a superb collection of original exhibits about Yorkshire's most famous son. For further information and details of the 2017 special exhibition, "Kamchatka to Krakatoa! The Cook Voyages in Asia", please click on the picture below:


Voyages in Asia.

Take a walk round the museum with this lovely video.